Monday, September 15, 2014

A Word for the Mommies!

 

This Morning I reach out for the word amidst screaming children who need me before I can even open my eyes to greet the day. I so desperately wish that there was a specific book in the bible for Mom’s. I love my bread and I am not knocking The Word, but in this extremely trying moment I am having a hard time comparing Paul’s being ship wrecked or beaten or put in jail to the trials I face. My trials seem so trivial, so unimportant in comparison. I guess I just want to find a verse that says...

“Mommy don’t give up when your kid’s have stained every white piece of clothing you have, don’t stop smiling just because this is the twelfth dirty diaper you have cleaned in 12 minutes, chose love instead of wrath when your children keep fighting over the same stupid stuff, do not be discouraged when your house is so dirty it would be easier to light a match than to clean it. Keep on going mom, you will make it, your kids won’t grow up to be total ingrates, you are doing good, what you do matters. Mom do not waste your time wishing you were someone else because chances are they think your life looks pretty awesome. Don’t stop moving forward toward Jesus because he is literally the only one who can help you today. Mom put down the hair brush that you desperately want to smack your child with and explain with grace that you are out of that cereal and have no clean blue spoons today. It will be o.k. , this too is going to pass. When your child is crying over the fact that she is Not an only child and then you make it 20 times worse by talking about death (yep that so happened last night) You are not a failure. You are not a failure because one fail does not label you. And when you are in your bedroom bathroom pretending to pee just because you can lock your bedroom door and the bathroom door allowing for a two room barrier to the noise and the needs, for two whole glorious seconds and then it sounds as if the dark armies of Middle Earth have breached your fortress; this is not the time to curl up in the fetal position. No this is when you go and find that yellow sock that was in plain sight the whole time. You can get out of bed mom, you can greet this day with amazing strength and wisdom and power, because you have the God of all things on your side.”  
How many mommies would like a whole book in the bible devoted to just being a mommy? I would but then again I guess even though my problems seem so ridiculous, they really are not. I used to say that there is no possible way to be the Proverbs 31 woman. But then I figured out that she is every woman in one, she is the stay at home mom, the working mom, the ambitious single woman, the devoted wife, she is beautiful inside and out. So I realized that God was not saying I needed to be every woman but rather that he is talking to all of us in his word, he is saying that although we are all facing different trials, our trials are not overlooked by him! Whether your prison is a five story building with a cubicle that welcomes you five boring days of the week,  a room of screaming kids,  a country ravished by war, A loveless marriage,  or an actual cell that you find yourself in by no circumstances of your choosing, we have the power of a loving God to show us how to be joyful in all circumstances and turn what the enemy means for a prison into a place of Glorious worship to
our king.

We are quick to say that Paul praising God in prison is nothing like me needing to cry out to God in my own home (when my son keeps interrupting my only alone time because he can’t  find the baby bowls just the mamma bowls.) We compare our circumstances but the point is that we have access to the presence of God with just the simple use of Prayer and worship. We can call down the heavens no matter where we are, no matter what our circumstance is and he will answer us. We are not less deserving of his presence just because our lives look so very different. God is saying when you call to me…. I will answer you!!! So although us moms do not get our own book in the bible, we get something better, we get the whole thing, we get to know that all the promises in his word were meant for us too.

He says that nothing is trivial in 1 Peter 5:7 “Casting ALL your cares on Him, for he cares for you”. All means everything. It doesn’t say “suck it up for your concerns are stupid,” it says cast them upon him. When I fish... I cast like it takes all my strength to get that little hook out in the water (I look like a crazy person!) and so must we, in the middle of our mommy melt down moments cast those cares upon him and remember: that his truth is for us today, his word is for us, we can not do this on our own nor were we meant to carry it. He says to cast it on him for he cares. God cares that I am stressed out, he cares that I am at the brink of tears and he cares that I just don’t feel like facing my world today alone. He cares and he has promised to take care of us.
Wow!! I needed that, because all I do all day long is take care of people, and sometimes I really don’t feel like I have anyone taking care of me. So guess what Mommies? We get to hold our heads high and know that this day is not ours, but it’s God’s and with the weight of the world off our shoulders we don’t have to fret. (Like I am currently fretting about the twelve pounds of cereal on my kitchen floor because I decided to write this blog this morning and let my seven and five year olds make breakfast.) But we can say this: God has this day and I can rise up out of this room and face it with all confidence in him, that he has my back, and my heart and my mind that I frankly felt like I was losing this morning. He has this!

Cast your cares on Him!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment