Sunday, January 19, 2014

Plans

    
  

      I am a planner. I love my lists and I feel so unorganized if my little control freak hands are not touching something. I realize that many people do not struggle with this to the extent that I do but I feel like we all get to the point where if we do not have the answer to something it starts to bother us and nag a bit. I have been very frustrated this last week, feeling as though God could not hear me or I could not hear him just because the big questions in my mind were not being answered. It’s May and I want answers for September. I just feel so very “Out of Control” when I don’t know the specifics.

     So last night as I was praying and spending time with God, I knew I was in his presence but again he seemed so silent in the matters of my life. He gave me words for others but I just came up blank when it came to me. Then finally he spoke, as if he was keeping a secret and had to spill a little. “I am moving in your life. The plans I have require you laying down your plans. Will you be ready when I move? Because I know the plans I have for you and they are big.” Then it occurred to me that God wasn’t silent because he didn’t want to talk to me, but that I was asking the wrong questions. “God tell me what you are doing so I can plan it all out.” God wasn’t giving me the answers because I need to be flexible and open to whatever changes may come before then. Am I willing to lay down my plans when he is silent? Understanding that I can not control the future.

     That isn’t all that God showed me. He showed me that as much as I need to relinquish or give up my control in that area, he gives me the right to take up control in other areas. He recently reminded me of a few things that I felt led to pursue as a youth. Years have gone by and an awakening has risen up inside of me to these past desires. Many of these goals, desires, and passions were developing in me as a 16 year old. I felt led to memorize the bible, learn sign language, play an instrument (the violin). And Write, Write, Write!! These gifts require a great deal of discipline or SELF CONTROL to accomplish any level of greatness in. I am trying to re navigate the control issues I have. God is letting me have a few things that I can exercise some control in while he takes over control in other areas. God knows me so well. He knows how my personality works and instead of feeling lost and unable to participate in my own life he is showing me what areas I am to develop discipline in. When God takes something, he gives something back in return.

     My challenge to you is this: If you feel like God is not moving in your life, as though you are stuck or not getting answers. First: ask some questions. Second: look at the questions you are asking, do you need the answer? Maybe he has given you the answer and you don’t like it. Maybe you aren’t getting an answer because the question is the wrong one. Or maybe there are things you need to do out of obedience before you can take the next step. Don’t misunderstand God’s silence to be that he doesn’t care. In fact he cares so much that he takes us down different roads to grow us in faith; roads where you don’t always know what is next.

     I am sure that God’s silence in Job’s situation was overwhelmingly painful. He had questions for God too! When Jesus was on the cross and he could no longer hear God he asked, “Why have you forsaken me?” If they felt shut out of God’s plan and the sting of God’s silence, how can we be so arrogant to think we won’t feel that way at times too? Don’t let the enemy and his tongue of lies rob you of this important silence. Both Job and Christ went on to receive the miraculous in exchange for their patient endurance through trials. We too, can have the victory! We can know that God is good and that no matter how quiet it gets he is still right beside us through it all.

Three verses:
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps

No comments:

Post a Comment